Friday, November 2, 2012

A simple spread from Deb



I am just about to scoot off to the foothills for a weekend away with a bunch of Episcopal ladies.

I know. We'll talk later.

Right now the important thing to announce is that I can, indeed, make something edible to share that doesn't take all day to make. Don't get me wrong, I love all day baking, but I currently have no oven, and I want something savory anyhow.

This recipe was then borne out of necessity and trust. I had this blog on my mind because immediately following said retreat I will be high-tailing it to that book store for a reading/signing/chat about the book. I thought maybe the author might have just the recipe I needed, so I went to the source and asked for appies and lo, and behold: a simple spread. It took all of three minutes to make and was exactly what I wanted: some spready, savory thing that is briny, creamy, dairyless, and with enough substance/fat/protein to keep me stable and able to indulge in a little more of the wine that tends frequent these occasions.

Trust and necessity. I trusted the right person apparently. Now I can't decide which I am more excited about--the retreat, or the reading. I say that kind of concern is a promising way to begin a promising weekend.

May the skies be ever in your favor.


White Bean, Artichoke, and Olive Spread


2 cups white beans (I used butter beans), drained and rinsed if from a can
1 can green olives
1 15 ounce can marinated artichoke hearts, drained well
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
1 tablespoon capers
1 garlic clove
olive oil as needed
freshly ground black pepper
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until desired texture, adding olive oil a table spoon or so at a time if it gets stuck. Taste and see. Adjust seasoning. Serve with wee toasts. Enjoy! 

Adapted from Deb's Artichoke-Olive Crostini

1 comment: