Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Eggs, Good Friday



I was going to share a delightful, crispy shortbread recipe with you. The cookie above, actually. But it is Good Friday, and most of the people I know will be hosting or attending an Easter weekend full of picnics, lunches, dinners, and desserts. And the shortbread just didn't seem to fit. Next time.

Deviled eggs fit, and I have been eating an inordinate amount of them lately. But that seemed silly. Until, at least, this morning.

I was at the Chiropractor doing my adjustment thing and my therapy thing (kind of more like going to the gym than the Chiropractor, but I'm not complaining), and I overheard a discussion about deviled eggs.

Joe wants to bring something to a party this weekend. The Food Guy listens intently. Joe suggests deviled eggs, but says he isn't inspired. The Food Guy suggests roasted jalapenos. Joe looks intrigued. I get Joe's attention and suggest the simple and straightforward: smoked paprika? He is not impressed. But I am so excited I nearly fall off my exercise ball.

No really, I say, have you had smoked paprika? Joe thinks so, and is still not impressed by my culinary insight, possibly because I am suggesting something silly and so 1950's housewife, but also possibly because I am disrupting his focus on the roasted jalapenos.

The man suggests some other ideas that do not inspire me, and I suggest a few too: chives maybe, or the pickled red chard I found via Louisa, or maybe Molly's Crabmeat with Ravigote. Finally Joe turns to the Food Guy and says in the most unenthusiastic voice ever heard on earth, "I think I like your idea, Food Guy. Those jalapanos have me a little inspired." I hope he really is.

While Joe went on to talk to the Food Guy (and not to my nosy self), I went on to day dream about deviled eggs.

I know people have their reservations about deviled eggs. The thought of them may bring back frightening memories of afternoon barbecues gone wrong--where the eggs were too warm and the paprika too old and dusty for you to want to eat them. Or maybe you are like a friend of mine, who gets flashback images of Chris Cooper, a boy in her fourth-grade class, cheeks stuffed to capacity with the gloppy remains of eggy hors d'oevres.

Well, flashbacks aside, I like them. Actually, I love them. I even like them too warm and dusted with old, tasteless paprika.



I started making them recently for Cedar, who will not eat the yolk of a hard boiled egg because they tend to be dry. My motherly spirit decided the egg yolk was essential to his health and well being, so one day I tried a deviled egg on him. Apparently he loves them too. And since I can't make good food and just watch then eat it, I usually make one for me too. Thus, the abundance of deviled eggs outside the family picnic.

I usually just mash up the yolk with plain mayonnaise and call it done. But, as I've said, deviled eggs have happened a lot around here, and to my surprise and horror, I am actually getting a little tired of egg a la mayonnaise. I haven't had one in a week. But then this morning, Joe was talking about deviled eggs. He mentioned Dijon and Sriracha sauce with the jalapenos. Then I read this, which is not about eggs at all, but sounds good, especially with the caraway. And so my lunch was born.



Happy Easter. Eat eggs. Deviled, if possible.


Deviled Eggs with Caraway (Inspired by Heidi's Liptauer Cheese Crostini)

I made just one egg for myself, and since it is fairly straightforward to multiply, I thought I'd keep the recipe that way. Be sure to have a completely cooked hard boiled egg. My yolks were a wee bit soft still, and it makes mashing the yolks more a battle of lumps than a mashing of yolks.

1 hard boiled egg
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (I used my in-laws Grey Poupon)
1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/8 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds (toasted too, if possible)
more caraway seeds, for garnish

Slice eggs in half lengthwise, pop out the yolk into a small bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and mash until smooth. Spoon mixture into egg halves and sprinkle more caraway seeds on top. Cover and refrigerate until ready to eat, or, consume immediately. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment