Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tastes like more


I have these jars of homemade marmalade. A lot of marmalade. And, while I should be able to gift it ("should" here implies that, perhaps, I was not greeted with delight at the mention of marmalade, but rather a few nose-crinkles and a disdainful "isn't that kind of bitter?"), there are few I know who would really appreciate it. Well, one can only have so much toast.

If you find yourself in a similar predicament, then this is your day. For I have discovered a delightful marrying of practicality and good taste. Orange Marmalade Baked Oatmeal. Nothing too new--people have done this before. But it is certainly new to me. How I love discoveries!

It is a perfect oatmeal day--rainy and Christmasy, and in desperate need of palate-pleasing nutrition. I woke up off this morning, actually, and in a moment of clarity, whipped up a batch. I was eating my first bowl, thinking a little less groggily, ok, I can share this recipe, its not too bad. But then the carbs must have finally converted to sugar or something because, like a some holy epiphany, gong!, I finally opened my eyes and saw that the day was beautiful, that the oatmeal was more than tasty, and that my bowl was very empty. It tasted like more.


It also tasted nutty and orangy but less pungent than marmalade on toast. The softer side of marmalade. And with milk poured over it--my god, really, I think I am converted. To what? Well, I'll ponder that.

This baked oatmeal is not just a means to use up the plethora of marmalade stacked coldly in the pantry. It is now a proper breakfast--something to take the edge off the morning, something to look forward to. It is, for marmalade, a reason, maybe, to make more.


Orange Marmalade Baked Oatmeal inspired by Meatless Mondays

This is a great recipe for big families and extra holiday guests. It is quick, filling, and easily doubled (or tripled, or quadrupled). If you are so inclined, you can mix it all together the night before, omitting the baking powder (sprinkle and mix in just before baking the morning of), to soften up the oats and make it an even speedier baked breakfast.

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon course sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped or crushed

1 1/3 cups whole milk
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup marmalade
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 8x8 baking dish, set aside.

Mix first set of ingredients and set aside. Mix second set. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spread mixture evenly in the buttered dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and well-set in the middle. Serve hot with milk and a sprinkling of more toasted nuts, if you like. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. could i use other jams with this recipe? i have jars of peach jam in my cupboard!

    p.s. you could bring me a jar of your marmalade! i won't wrinkle my nose.

    ReplyDelete