Thursday, April 29, 2010

Funky Full Moon Hummus


Today is not the full moon. Today is bright and sunny and would totally be the kind of day I would actually remember to be out to see such and sight. But instead, yesterday was the day and night of April's Grass Moon. And I completely forgot.

This saddens me deeply. I have these visions of me celebrating full moon every month with friends and family. I see us feasting a little, celebrating the onward roll of time. I see me posting fun and related recipes for each moon. For Grass Moon I sprouted grain. A little cheesy, but, whatever. (Get it...sprouted grain, sprouted grass?) Instead, I made hummus today.


When I made this, I had just cooked the beans, so they were still warm when I blended them up. This was really nice to eat right away because though it is sunny out, there is still a bit of a breeze and a spring chill in the air. Warm creamy hummus on a cool, almost warm day--I suggest you try it like that.

I thought about what next full moon could be like:

We could have a picnic. We could climb the highest sage flower and swing into the parsley.


Or not. But it is a pretty idea. We could definitely make Funky Full Moon Hummus though, and eat it with carrots, or spread it on tortillas with sliced radish.





I could bring my new and totally beautiful journal outside to soak up those full moon vibes. And I could write.
We could stay outside all day.

Wow, that sounded a little like what some of my day was like. Weird.

Funky Full Moon Hummus (inspired by Moosewood Cookbook's Feta-Walnut Dip)
Don't be daunted be the long list, nor the measurements. Use the alternative "dollop" or "four finger pinch" where appropriate.

1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans (if using canned, rinse very well)
4 ounces feta (I used a pretty dry raw milk goat feta)
2/3 cup walnuts
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
3 tablespoons milk
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4-1/2 teaspoon paprika
3 hefty dashes cayenne pepper (or more!)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or less, depending on the saltiness of your feta)
pepper, to taste

Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy. Taste, adjust seasonings according to whim, and serve with fresh crisp veggies (like carrot sticks or celery) or spread on pita, tortilla, or a crunchy cracker. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment