Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Crow Moon and Life-Force Salad


It is Full Crow Moon today. It is Crow because around this time the crows begin their cawing in earnest.

In Vancouver, the first sign of spring (that I noticed) was the crows begin to call. Here the doves are a little more prominent, and I awake to the soft hoo-hoo hooing from their timid, strawberry blond bodies. I once mistook their call for a far-off owl, but now I know better.

I paid a little attention to the crows in Vancouver because I had not appreciated them in California. Are they different? Is their cawing more shrill with all the heat in the Valley? I am not sure. But I went for a walk in the country a few days ago and found a crow hub. This time I liked them. I have heard them around the house every so often, flying high overhead, and have liked them. In fact, now I miss their eerie masses. Now I only see them from a great distance, because they tend to like flying over this area of town rather than perching in the oaks across the street.

Still, they say spring. The doves say spring. The robins are pummeling each other midair and chasing off magpies who are doing the same, and they say spring.

At this time last year I was pregnant. I was waking up in the morning to ride my bike through Vancouver to my chocolate-making job.

Maybe it was the springtime, the pheobie birds starting up their two-toned morning singing by 3 am, maybe it was being surrounded by so much sugar and creative chocolate, but regardless of energy, I would usually end up creating a new (and sometimes odd) lunch for myself every morning. They were simple meals, just salads really, but they were complete meals that I found interesting. They were filled with life-force and were delicious.

Now I make it in honor of spring. May Crow Moon rise in clear skies!

(I am sad to say I did not photograph the salad. It was gone before I remembered! That could say something about me, but I am going to bank on it saying something about the salad.)

Life-Force Salad

Like the Fanatic Veggie Salad, I have a little system for assembling this salad. There should be beans of some sort, grains, onion-y something, nuts or seeds, and a creamy or cheesy component. This is what I did:

1 cup cooked lentils
1 cup cooked quinoa
2 carrots, shredded small
1 green onion
splash or two or three of balsamic vinegar
a bunch of freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
handful of date pieces broken into small bits
handful of sunflower seeds
1/3 cup fresh cheese such as cottage cheese or ricotta

Mix in a medium bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve in two or three bowls. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment