Monday, January 4, 2010

Family Feed

Cooking for my husband and I has never been difficult. If I cook, he eats it. And as long as I don't give him a plate of cooked mushrooms, or a a fatty slab of tongue, he's pretty game to try anything. But I am not only cooking for him now. We are currently living in my parents' house. Until we get jobs, or go crazy. That means that cooking just got difficult. K and I usually eat vegetarian while my parents are more the steak and potato or pasta and chicken types. And, because neither of us have a job we figure it is a must to cook at least twice a week. Yeah for me. But ah! Hearty vegetarian cooking without simply adding a bunch of cheese is not yet my forte. So here is some structure to my otherwise structureless life: Monday is now vegetarian night, Wednesday Soup night, and Thursday is another vegetarian night. I now have to come up with dinners that are filling enough for my six-foot five and bear-like father, yet, typical enough of my own usual cooking that I feel at home in the kitchen.

Tonight was the first night. I made frittata. They liked it!

Spinach and Brown Rice Frittata
6-8 generous servings

This is very filling. Serve with something light and fresh, like an herby salad and roasted cauliflower.
3 tablespoons butter or olive oil for pan
1 onion, chopped
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb spinach, washed, chopped
4 cups cooked brown rice (or other grain)
10 eggs
1 1/2 cups natural yogurt
2 tablespoons capers
3 tablespoons fresh dill (or 1 tablespoons dried)

Saute the onion in butter or oil over medium heat till translucent. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, till wilted. Turn heat to low, add capers, rice and dill. Beat eggs, then beat in the yogurt. Stir egg mixture into saute mixture and cover. Cook over low heat for half an hour or until set. Serve with fresh cheese dolops on top and more fresh dill. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Big bear of a father!!! Are you sure he didn't sneak in a steak after midnight. I've known your Dad before you were born. Maybe he had two steaks.

    ReplyDelete